23.5.11

30 day song challenge. A song by your favourite band

As I write this, I'm sat looking out at the North Sea and Farne Islands, it's really rather bloody nice.  I might even post a picture in the next few days, if I can be arsed, that is.

Anyway, back to the point in hand.

It's been just over ten years since Tool's 'Lateralus' was released.  Tool have been my favourite band for ten years.  Coincidence?  It features a song largely written using the Fibonacci sequence, for fucks sake!

The song I have picked for today's post isn't from that album, but the one that followed it five years later, '10000 Days' (surely there's a new one due soon). 'Rosetta Stoned' encapsulates everything that make Tool my favourite band, the humour in the writing, the complexity, the drumming, sweet jesus, the drumming, and, perhaps most of all, Maynard James Keenan's vocal dexterity (especially live).  The video below features the lyrics to the song, and I'd strongly suggest watching it, otherwise you won't stand a fucking chance of understanding what on Earth he's on about. 




No comments:

Post a Comment