13.5.11

30 day song challenge. A song you know all the words to.

Ah, they were heady days. I bought 'The Colour and the Shape' (I think the anglicised spelling made me like it all the more) in ooh... 2001, from HMV for £15.99. I NEEDED that album. It was, and is one of the best, simplest ROCK records I own. Which makes the Foo Fighters' terminal decline since then all the more upsetting. 'There Is Nothing Left To Lose' is by no means a bad album (and the one that introduced me to them, so I'll always have a soft spot for it) but it doesn't reward repeated listening, the way TCATS and 'Foo Fighters' do. Since then it's been a case of stadium rock filler, with a few notable exceptions 'In Your Honor' (note, this time, the lack of anglicised spelling) from the double album of the same name was a welcome surprise, and a lot of the second, acoustic disc is rather pleasant. The two teasers ('Rope', and particularly 'White Limo') from this year’s 'Wasting Light' (insert wasting something joke here) hinted at something of a return to form. They were the exception. It's just so very very dull, and I think, finally I may have finally given up on a band that I once adored (see also: Biffy Clyro).


'Monkey Wrench' isn't my favourite Foo Fighters song (that is, and always will be, clearly, 'Everlong') but it's certainly up there, with much of that second album they released 14 years ago.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment