6.5.11

Where were we? 30 day song challenge. Day 1

I just couldn't be bothered any more, is the honest truth.  I think it was trying to review Sufjan Stevens' 'Age of Adz' (without question, my favorite album of 2010) that did it, I just didn't know where to start, so I didn't.  But I'm back, at least for a while.  A few blogs I read have featured this meme, and, well, why not?
So, day 1...

Your Favorite Song

This is a toughy.  It's fluid. Yesterday it was 'The City' by The Dismemberment Plan.  But that's only because I listened to it.  In the end, it was a two horse race, and it'll be no suprise, given the name of this here blog, that Death Cab for Cutie's 'Grapevine Fires' edged it.  It ticks all the boxes for me,  Ben Gibbard's writing has rarely been better, the song evokes such a clear picture in my head, (it took me a while to get used the wonderful video that accompanies it) the backing vocals, Jason McGerr's exemplary (as ever) drumming, and that moment (around the 2:50) mark, where the slightly dischordant guitar part comes in....Jesus, I bloody love this song


No comments:

Post a Comment