27.6.11

30 day song challenge. A song you wish you heard on the radio

A productive day today, purely because I wanted to get to this post as soon as I could, and with a little reshuffling of the running order, I have.

The amount by which the sales of Janelle Monáe’s ‘The ArchAndroid (Suites II & III)’ ( a sci-fi concept album, dying to be made into a film) have increased since her incendiary performance (which put Beyonce’s Sunday headlining set in it’s place) on the West Holt Stage at Glastonbury was broadcast on BBC3 on Saturday night.

Four Thousand Nine Hundred and Twenty Eight per cent.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

I’ve written about her once before, in the incredibly half arsed effort I posted prior to my sabbatical from this place, and until Saturday night I was slightly dumbfounded by the fact she is little know. Not for much longer.

‘Tightrope’, the James Brown/P-Funk inspired meat in this rather filling audio/visual sandwich, is for my money, one of the very best pop songs of the past few years, since 'Hey Ya' even. Not just a song I wish I heard on the radio then, but one I think I will do, increasing so.
 This is pop music exactly as it should be, vital, fun, about futurerobots (see album synopsis – is that a thing? – after the jump) and with a massive heart.




This is all paraphrased from the liner notes (which also mention Luke’s lightsaber -tick enough boxes yet?)
Janelle Monáe, is actually from the year 2719; where(when?) she was snatched, genoraped and de-existed, or, to put it another, kidnapped, had her genetic code sold illegally to the highest bidder then sent back to the present day.

Back in 2719, Cindi Mayweather, an android is cloned from Monáe’s DNA, Cindi Mayweather goes on to become the titular Arch Android, who has been sent to free the citizens of Metropolis form a secret society, the Great Divide, which has been using time travel to suppress freedom and love.

Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment