20.8.10

"...tryin' to quit'll make you wish you didn't start..." Caitlin Rose - Own Side Now

Dear Reader,

I realise now that a comment I made in a previous review (namely, that of She & Him’s ‘Volume 2’) was somewhat flippant and misinformed. The comment in question came at the end of said review and read “I’ll be very surprised if I hear a pop album quite this perfect for some time.” *

Well, colour me surprised (kind of off white, with a hint of mauve perhaps. I like that word. Mauve). ‘Volume 2’, is indeed a cracking little pop record, but it has nothing on Caitlin Rose’s debut full length (her debut e.p. ‘Dead Flowers’ was released here earlier this year, the US have had it since 2008) ‘Own Side Now’,

If that title sounds vaguely familiar, it may well bring to mind the Joni Mitchell song ‘Both Sides Now’, which isn’t where the similarities between the two end. Rose’s songs, much like Mitchell’s are incredibly well crafted, their beauty often lying in their simplicity. Take the title track, which by Rose’s own admission is one the most simple and honest things she has written. The delivery of the line “who’s gonna want me when I’m just somewhere you’ve been” is so simple, so restrained, yet so full of emotion, that it never fails to bring a lump to my throat.

Caitlin Rose - Own Side Now 

Some of these songs were written, staggeringly, when she was 16/17 years of age (she’s now 23, which makes me feel very old indeed), one such song, a particular highlight, is ‘For the Rabbits’, about two high school friends and their on again/off again relationship, it has been stuck firmly in my head since the moment I heard it, as has ‘Shanghai Cigarettes’, which wouldn’t have sounded out of place on Conor Oberst’s solo, or …and the Mystic Valley Band L.P’s.

Caitlin Rose - For The Rabbits

This is not one of those records, I think, that will be listened to intensely for a month or so, only to be neglected there after, of course, only time will tell, but in the small amount of time since it popped through my letter box, it’s been there, in my noggin’ nagging at me “go on, put me on again, go on, you will” like a Nashville born Mrs Doyle (should I be worried about that, do you think? The voices, in my head?)

To pre-emptively answer your question, I’m not quite sure why I wrote this review in the form of a letter, perhaps so they don’t becoming incredibly samey. Either way, it’s a rather irritating affectation which I won’t be employing again.

Anyway, how are things with you?

Joe.

P.S. She’s supporting Megafaun at the Bandroom in Farndale at the end of the month, which will, I’d expect, own.

P.P.S  Thought I'd try using soundcloud in reviews, hopefully, it's worked!

*(I do understand there can be, by definition, no varying level of perfection, I don’t understand why I wrote that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment