3.2.10

Eels - End Times




“I’ve been through some stuff” (an early contender for understatement of the year?) sings Mark Oliver Everett, perhaps better and certainly more succinctly known as ‘E’, on ‘In My Younger Days’ and he’s not kidding.

The death of both of his parents, and his sister were well chronicled on ‘Electro-Shock Blues’ considered by many to be Eels defining record. Both musically and lyrically, ‘End Times’ is closer to this record than any other their others. This, Eels eighth studio album, follows a mere six months after ‘Hombre Lobo’ and is centered on Everett’s divorce.

This record was largely recorded by ‘E’, alone in his basement, and it shows. Not just in terms of production, but also the disarming honesty and fragility in his voice throughout.

‘In My Younger Days’ is one of the most open and revealing songs Eels have recorded;

“I’m not going to be ruled by hate, but it’s strong, and it’s filling up my days”

“I don’t need anymore misery to teach me what I should be, I just need you back.”

Conversely, on ‘Paradise Blues’, ‘E’ muses “at least I’m not dead”, well, that’s something to hold onto I suppose. ‘Paradise Blues’ is one of the less morose songs here, during which Mr Everett takes it upon himself to give…himself a good talking to;

“Your contempt and your sarcasm, it’s all so transparent, why don’t you give up the act now kid, and let some love in”.

The few moments of humour on ‘End Times’ are typically wry, and as you’d expect, tinged with sadness;

“She’s locked herself in the bathroom again” sings ‘E’ on ‘Line in the Dirt’ “so I am pissing in the yard”

During the title track there’s something of a disagreement with a feline neighbour;

“Outside my window there’s a cat in heat, shut up cat, and leave me alone, there ain’t no heat ‘round here”

Musically, ‘End Times’ is rather a simple affair, and to a certain extent, that’s what makes it such a devastating listen, at least first time round (listening to it fairly heavily since it came out has somewhat diminished this, I think it’s an album that is best listened to fairly occasionally). There is little to detract from the sound of a man bearing his soul for all to see (or hear, more accurately).

‘Little Bird’, the album’s first single has already become one of my favourite Eels songs, unmistakably Eels, more so than anything else here, and just as sad;

“Little bird…right now you’re the only friend I have in the world, and…goddamn I miss that girl.”

‘On My Feet’ ends things neither on a positive note nor a negative one, but with a thought that things might just get better;

“I’m pretty sure I’ve been through worse…I’ve Just got to get back on my feet”.

Here’s hoping he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment